Sunday, August 26, 2012

A New Adventure

Well, it seems my co-authored book "No Gentleman is He" has been accepted for publication.

Isn't that exciting?

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief that I didn't receive one rejection letter. I still wonder if I should request one from Kemberlee, my publisher at Tirgearr Publishing, just to feel like a "real writer".

There is perhaps something I should explain for the sake of friends who seem confused (and rightly so). My pseudonym for this work of Historical Romance fiction is Lynette Willows.

Now, people have asked me why writers use pen names. There are many reasons, I'm sure, but all I can do is speak for myself. For almost ten years I've been a freelance writer, and I used the name S.L. Bartlett. I am known by this name for journalistic pieces and humour/satire writing.

I also write novels, as yet unpublished and in different genres. "No Gentleman is He" is a historical romance, but because of my odd penchant for odd facts and both of our intensive research, it seems both I and my co-author, Carley Bauer/Carol Butler Crawley went a tad overboard with it. They have decided they like it despite that, but we still have some heavy re-writing and revising to do.

But I digress.

The reason for pen names is to keep an author's association with one particular genre clear. For example, if you pick up a Steven King book, you expect surprise and horror. Would you pick up a tender romance book that he wrote, or even take him seriously if he wrote under the same name?

I write in a multitude of genres, mostly because I would get horribly bored in just one. My reading tastes are equally as varied, so I guess it's to be expected. I am currently working on a political/suspense thriller, a satirical work dealing with child rearing and teenagers training to be terrorists, and another Lit work that is completely different from our current work. I am also still interested in keeping up my freelance work. I find deadlines, research and journalism exciting.

I am currently working on a blog site on Wordpress, exclusively for Lynette Willows to keep everyone up to date on the progress of Book 1, "No Gentleman is He" of the Sons of Liberty series, due for publication just before Christmas. It will also serve to outline historical facts that may surprise a lot of people, myself included. I found it amazing how political climate and societal pressures during the years of the American Revolution coloured history and its legends, and with these books, perhaps we can bring some facts out of the grey fog. You may not only be surprised, but shocked and slightly angry that this upstart Canadian and her American co-author could expose their most cherished heroes, We will also never lose sight of the fact that this is also a romance and that will satisfy the romantic in all of us.

In Book 2 of the series, of which almost two chapters are already done, these historical facts will come out in more detail and be twined into our story. We seek to not only thrill, excite and entertain, but we hope to also surprise. We will keep you informed of our progress.

I will keep this blog, Romancing the Thrill Quill, for my varied other projects, including progress on my novels, any general thoughts I may have to share, and to have fun! I admit, this one has no definitive focus, but that suits my personality. Being organized is boring; I'll use Lynette to do that. Oh, by the way, that is why I've been conspicuously absent; I've been busy with this series. My profuse apologies for neglecting friendships; I will try to do better.

So, you've been warned. Meanwhile, I'll keep you up to date on this new adventure and the new Lynette Willows blog, thoughts about being published and indulging in my love of research, writing, and spinning tales.

Oh, and when we have our cover design, you all will be the first to know. Keep your stick on the ice, folks!

No comments: