Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Goodness...An Award

Receiving an award, no matter how modest, is always flattering and gives a person the drive to keep doing what they're doing, and to try to improve.


I want to thank Sue Anne Bowling at Homecoming for noticing this modest blog of a beginner. I'm giggling like a schoolgirl who got her first gold star, even as I struggle to figure out how to do links and such for this post. I invite you to go see her entertaining and informative blog.


As per the rules of receiving this award, I now have to list five things about me that not many people know (not sure if I can do this since I'm an open book to anyone who knows me, but I'll try), and to award five other blogs that I admire.


So, first the list:
1.  When I'm writing, I'm a slob. I mean, "dishes stacked on counter, dust bunnies breeding, piles of laundry piled on every chair" kinda slob. When I take a day off, I go nuts and clean like a maniac, only to see the mess slowly build over the days I'm obsessed.
2.  I kill houseplants. I'm merciless and insidious in my assassination, too. I do very well with gardens, especially with vegetable gardens, but houseplants are doomed as soon as they enter my doorway.
3.  I'm a baker; I love to try new recipes, and I've wasted a lot of money on really complicated ones, trying to get it right. I eventually will prevail after some false starts, and lately mine and my husbands favorite desert is Butter Pecan bundt cake with Butternut frosting. I'm sure that will change as soon as I conquer another recipe.
4.  I'm stubborn...as soon as someone says I can't do something, I'll do everything to prove them wrong. It has led me to downfalls and heartbreak on more than one occasion, but more often has led to the realization that I was capable of more than I thought. I have found I'm strong, despite myself sometimes.
5. And last but not least, I'm the "Mother from Hell" and damn proud of that title. In these days of trying to be your kid's best friend, I have never had that desire nor did I try. My kids have many best friends who often got them into trouble or fed them false information; they only have one mother, and I was going to raise them with guilt just as my mother did to me. Take my word for it...it works! They also provided me with endless fodder for my humour writing, much to their chagrin.


And now...ta da! The time has come to award this to five other blogs that I have come to admire, and visit frequently even if, on some, I rarely comment on them.


1. Blog of a Vet's Wife Nancy MacMillan writes about the problems of living with a soldier suffering from PTSD, and how it affects the people around them, even to affecting their loved ones with symptoms of their own. She is also busy marketing her book that addresses this problem.


2. Catherine Lanser's Cooking by the Box is a site I visit but have not commented on (me bad!). She writes about her adventures in cooking, and has a subtle humour in some of her articles that is endearing as well as informative. It makes me feel better when I try new recipes and sometimes don't get it right the first time, but always they turn out fragrant and enjoyable regardless. I love cooking blogs.


3. Catharsis; Not the Average Mommy Blog by Laura is hilarious. It strikes a cord with me because it's about raising boys, and that is so close to my own life as a Mom, having raised three of my own. Anything that combines laughter and kids makes me a fan. I love her irreverent humour and her views on child-rearing. If you need a good laugh when your own kids are driving you nuts, read her blog; I can guarantee you'll feel better.


4. Now here, I might be breaking the rules, but I'm going to award one to a blog that doesn't belong to "SheWrites" but should, since I think once you see it, you will count this one as a treasure. I normally don't read many parenting blogs, since my own kids are grown. But this one is well written with a gifted writer, though she may not know it, and it's a heartwarming blog of a normal American family who have had their share of misfortune and adventure and come out of them stronger as a family. I heartily recommend it. Alicia's Blog: Our LIttle B Words And I'd like to add, she's a gifted illustrator; the art on the site is hers. 


5. I would be remiss if I didn't award my online best friend, Carley Bauer, and her blog From Carley's Laptop, who is also new to blogging. She is still trying to find her niche, but her blogs (admittedly few in number) are well written and thoughtful, and like me, I'm hoping she finds this an encouragement to keep going since I really enjoy her voice. She's a lover of politics, and there are few enough women in this area of life. It's time we heard more from women on the issues that affect Americans (Yes, even me, a Canadian). She is set to private (why, I don't know, but perhaps you can ask her) but I think she should open it up since I haven't personally found anything offensive, and her subjects are ones we should all view and contemplate. 


Well, that's it. I hope you all visit these blogs. They are widely varied, as are my interests, and all worth at least a view. And recipients...remember you must list five things about yourself, and pass this award to five blogs you admire. And congratulations...you all deserve recognition.

7 comments:

Catherine Lanser said...

Thank you so much for the nomination and for introducing me to your blog. You'll see I've been poking around and made some comments on some of your posts.

Laura@Catharsis said...

I would first like to say congratulations on your award! And I'd also like to say thank you for passing it forward to me! I, too, am a plant murderer, and I'm stubborn as hell also. Seems we've got a bit in common there, huh? Enjoy your recognition. I know I will!

Liz said...

And you've got another award! http://www.thewritingreader.com/blog/2011/09/29/its-a-double-play/

Nancy MacMillan said...

Thank you, thank you for this award. I'm humbled, but thank you. I've been so busy I haven't had time to respond until today. Forgive me. But I do have a question being techno illiterate - how do I move the "award" onto my main blog? You have the very same background. I'd be eternally grateful. My email is onhrway@earthlink.net which might make it easier to reply. or
http://blogofavetswife.blogspot.com/

S.L. Bartlett said...

Nancy, replied by email...hope it gets through.

Laura@Catharsis said...

I have put my blog award acceptance up today. Thank you again so much for passing it along to me!!!!

Annie Boreson said...

Congratulations on your wonderful award! Enjoy Enjoy!