Saturday, September 17, 2011

A Lesson in Rambling

Hello, all, especially visitors from my friendly She Writes neighbours! (Yes, as you noticed, I used the *gasp* Canadian spelling of that word, in case it shows up at a spelling error.) For everyone wondering what happened the last couple of weeks with no entry here, let me just say I got out of surgery, it's very unromantic, and leave it at that. I'm back.

I just figured I would put in a quick blog entry to welcome everyone new here from the Blogging Ball. A little about me; I'm a voracious reader and writer. I'll write about just about anything, which accounts for my poor kids embarrassment. I have frequently used them as the subjects of my articles, and I suspect they are seriously considering changing their names. I also never see much as tragic; in fact it only becomes fodder for my writing. As you will notice, if you browse through my entries here, that I tend to be a tad sarcastic. I rarely use satire against people. Rather, I prefer to fight against the fates by using sarcasm since they seem to see fit to be so with me. Everything that happens usually strikes me as ironic or downright funny.

Take this blog entry; I'm going to enter this by simply rambling like an idiot. It's a writing exercise I do when I'm striking a blank trying to come up with something to write. I will not edit this, nor proofread it. Yes, I will go back later and wince and cringe and probably regret everything, but somewhere in here, something will strike me as a great subject to write about later on. It's a great exercise to do, by the way, when you also hit a blank. Just sit down and type for five straight minutes without thinking much about it, then go back and read it. Through the all the drivel, ramblings and rantings, I bet you find something that will hit you as funny, sad, epiphany-type thing that will prompt you to write something more in detail, perhaps coming out as a major article. I have often done this when at a loss for a column assignment, etc. There is no such thing as a writer's block when you have this skill. I usually like to try it after staring blankly at my blinking monitor, it sitting there  tapping its computer foot in impatience, as if to say. "C'mon, c'mon, I'm waiting...I have better things to do than sit here staring at your stupid face all day." Very intimidating, by the way, those staring, blinking computer monitors. I need at least two coffees in the morning before facing it, or I'll end up doing a gross violence against it.

Anyway, now I'm done rambling, I'll post this, leave it for a bit, then come back and do all my cringing at how I could possibly post this hack crap on a public blog...but...here goes.

Oh, and have a great week, everyone!

Welcome to the SheWrites Blogger Ball!

11 comments:

RYCJ OEBooks Publisher said...

Oh S.L., you must visit me sometime. I just love this post. Original, and beautiful. And, so true, you are so right. AWESOME!!!

I'm signed on. And by the way, I am stopping through via the blog ball hop.

Rhonda

Carol Apple said...

Okay I'm going to try the just type approach right after I finish this comment. Actually I do that fairly often. Sometimes I'll just sit down and be thinking about something in front of the keyboard and then my fingers start tapping and before I know it I have a blog post ready to go.

By the way, thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm glad to know there are people out there making a good living freelancing. I hope to be right behind you on the that path shortly.

Helen Smith said...

Hello! I'm visiting from She Writes.

I like a bit of rambling - and I like a "u" in neighbour, though the American spelling is fine too (it seems exotic as I'm English).

Good luck with your writing. Have a great weekend.

Debra Ann Elliott said...

Stopping by from SW Blogger Ball. Love your blog and now a follower.

Myne Whitman said...

You definitely got me chuckling with this post. I'll try to take your advice the next time the block visits, lol...

S.L. Bartlett said...

RYCJ OEBooks Publisher: I'm so glad you liked it. I actually get a great deal of pleasure doing this rambling thing.

Carol Apple: I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this; if I was, I would seriously doubt my sanity. LOL

Helen Smith: You'd be surprised how often I get nailed on my "bad spelling" *snicker* Nice to meet you.

Debra Ann Elliott: Love your blog "High Heels and Hot Flashes". It's great!

Myne Whitman: If I got you snickering, that's my goal, so thank you very much. I read your blog too, and got me thinking. I like it.

Shelley Workinger said...

Good morning!
I'm with you - I know people who use sarcasm as a sword to attack, others as a defensive shield, but, for me, sarcasm works best as a set of handcuffs that we can use to stay together as we push through life :)

Michael Ann said...

This is great! I'm so glad you decided to just ramble and post. Best ramblings I've read in a while :-)

Thank you for visiting my recipe blog and becoming a "stalker." I have another blog too, that's commentary/essay writing whatever is in my head. Maybe you can visit sometime. See you on She Writes!
Michael Ann
http://thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com
http://thinkinginmyheadma.blogspot.com

Fierce Dolan said...

Ah, yes. I generally shy away from using sarcasm. It's too easy to hide truth behind. It's nice to meet you! Hope all is well!

Nancy MacMillan said...

S.L., I'm stopping by from SheWrites, and you definitely got a giggle out of me, ...I have better things to do than sit here staring at your stupid face all day.":D So I joined your blog! I can be a bit of a rambler as well. My earlier posts are proof:D

Have a terrific week and stop by if you have time.
Nancy MacMillan@ http://blogofavetswife.blogspot.com/

Meg Waite Clayton said...

Rambling is so good for the creative spirit, isn't it?

Meg